Make Your Contribution

I am running to raise money for The Wounded Warrior Project.  This foundation provides direct services to veterans and active military, aiding those wounded in the line of duty.  You can make a contribution here or by clicking the image to the left.  Every little bit helps me reach my fundraising goal.  Please post a note on the Sponsorship Page, letting me know you donated.  Thank you for your contribution.

Monday, September 06, 2010

Piece of Cake

I did two miles today, and it was a piece of cake.  That means the next time I run, I'll have to push harder than just two miles.  The regular exercise, stretching, and proper diet are making this seem much easier.  When you aren't working out regularly, pushing your body really takes a toll on you for several days.  After those miserable first days of soreness, the workout becomes much more bearable, with little recovery time.  I have never really understood the importance of regular exercise until now.

1 comment:

  1. Seems like you haven't updated in a few days, but I read over your posts because I'm planning on doing the Tough Mudder in May of next year (soCal).

    I used to hit a wall at about 1 mile myself and would kind of end it there. For some reason I don't remember, I found a book called Born To Run by Christopher Mcdougall. Based on some of the things you mentioned in earlier posts, you may have read it or at least read about it, but in general it goes over endurance running and Mcdougall's story of running with the Raramuri (running people) and, among others, Barefoot Ted.

    Aside from the other things I picked up in the book, I found that running on the balls of your feet at a slow pace (3-5mph) can greatly increase your endurance. The first day I tried this, I went from that one-mile wall straight up to a five-mile run. I was tired after, sure but I'd never been able to run that far in my life and I was the second fastest runner on my football team in high school.

    Since that run, I've been able to go up to 15 miles in a loop without dying and my pace has gone up (about 7mph average, or a 7 minute mile). I'm slowly working my way up to the 26 mile mark.

    Anyhoo, just thought I'd point that out. Hopefully it will help you increase your endurance in time for the event.

    ReplyDelete